By Eliot Van Buskirk of Evolver.fm.
Facebook has an annoying habit of disrupting what you’re listening to by playing little ‘ping’ sounds when messages show up, someone you follow posts something, your post gets Liked, and in other scenarios. This appears to be a relatively new issue.
These pings can be helpful if you’re trying to ruin your ability to do anything. Isn’t Facebook addictive enough, without it trying to grab even more of our attention by ruining our music with little ping sounds?
How do you make it stop? Facebook has some straightforward advice (via Drowned In Sound):
- Click in the upper-right corner of any page on Facebook and select Account Settings
- Click Notifications in the left column
- Find the How you get notifications section
- Click View next to On Facebook
- Uncheck the box next to Play a sound when each new notification is received
- Click Save Changes